Paush Purnima refers to the full moon of the “Shukla Paksha” in the month of Pausha, as per the Hindu Calendar. It is a significant day for Hindus and is celebrated all over the country by fasting, worshipping and conducting the Satyanarayan Katha. On the day of the Paush Purnima, the moon is visible in its complete size, and it is said that bathing in holy water, donating to the poor and offering “Prasada” to Suryadev on this day shall rid a person of all their sins and guide them towards the path of salvation. A full moon marks the day of Purnima, and according to the Hindu calendar, there are a total of twelve Purnimas in a year. However, the Pausha Purnima and the Magha Purnima are given the most importance. Below, there is a comprehensive detail about Paush Purnima in 2023.
Also Read: Purnima 2023 Dates
Paush Purnima 2023 : Date & Time
|Paush Purnima 2023||Date & Timings|
|Paush Purnima 2023 Date||Friday, 6 Jan 2023|
|Purnima Tithi Begins||6 Jan, 2023 at 02:14 am|
|Purnima Tithi Ends||7 Jan, 2023 at 04:37 am|
The Significance of Paush Purnima 2023
The Paush Purnima is a significant day for the Hindu religion. The day marks the end of winter and the beginning of the Magha month, and even the “Maha Kumbh Mela” falls during this period.
The Paush Purnima is an opportunity for devotees to end their inner darkness and follow the path of enlightenment, thus attaining salvation. According to the Hindu religion, taking a bath in the holy water at a Hindu pilgrimage place on this auspicious day rids a person of all their sins and helps them attain “Moksha.”
It is believed that a person who wakes up early in the morning on this day and bathes in the holy water as he offers his prayers to the rising sun shall be forgiven for all the sins he has committed in his past lives and be entitled to salvation.
Have A Look: Maghi Purnima 2023
The Fasting Procedure on the Pausha Purnima (Vrat and Pooja Vidhi)
On the auspicious occasion of the Pausha Purnima, devotees all over the country bathe in the holy water of the Ganges, make donations and fast in an attempt to impress Suryadev and attain ultimate salvation. Mentioned below is the procedure to follow on the day of the Paush Purnima to impress Suryadev.
- Take a vow to fast throughout the day before taking a bath in the holy water.
- Pray to the Lord of Oceans, Varun dev.
- Now bathe in a holy river.
- Offer holy water to Suryadev while chanting his mantras.
- After the bath, pray to Lord Krishna by offering Prasada to the Lord.
- Donate food to a needy person or a Brahmin.
- Also, donate woollen clothes, blankets, and jaggery to the poor.
Need peace and spiritual grace in your life? Book Personalised Live Puja.
Rituals During Paush Purnima 2023
Let us look at some of the rituals that are followed on the day of the Paush Purnima.
- Bathing is the most important ritual on the day of Paush Purnima. Devotees wake up very early in the morning and take a bath in the holy rivers at sunrise as they offer ‘Argha’ to the rising sun.
- After bathing, devotees must worship the “Shiva Linga” with water and meditate near the “Shiva Linga” in order to absorb the spiritual energy.
- Devotees are known to organise a Satyanarayan Katha on this day as they fast and pray to the Lord Vishnu and offer Prasada to the Lord.
- After the Katha, the Aarti is done, and the Prasada is distributed to the members present in the ceremony.
- On the day of Paush Purnima, ‘Pushyabhishek Yatra’ is celebrated in the temples of Lord Krishna all over India.
- Recitations of the Ramayana and the Bhagavad Gita are also organised on this day.
- Devotees must donate things and food to the poor on this day
- Under ‘Anna Daan’, free food is served in temples and ashrams to needy people all over India.
Mantras to Chant on the Paush Purnima
Mantras of Lord Surya:
- Om Ghrini Surya Aditya
- Om Hrim Hrim Suryay Sahastrakiranray Manovanchhit Falam Dehi Dehi Swaha
- Om Aihi Surya Sahastranshaon Tejo Rashe Jagatpatye,Anukampayama Bhaktya, Grihanarghai Divakar:
- Om Hrim Ghrini: Surya Aditya: Cleam Om
- Om Hrim Hrim Suryaya Namah
- Om Surya Namah.
- Om Ghrini Surya Namah.
Moon Darshan worship mantra: Om Kshirputray Vidmahe Amrit Tatvay Dheemahi, Tanno Chandra: Prachodayat.
This mantra should be chanted while offering Argha to the moon.
Shakambhari Mata Mantra
Invoke the blessing of Lord Surya by placing attuned Surya Yantra.
Paush Purnima is the opportunity to end your inner darkness, hence, use it to the fullest. May Suryadev be enchanted by your prayers and help you succeed in life.